When it comes to choosing an awning for your RV or camper, you should never settle. However, just as important as your awning is your replacement fabric! Choosing a great brand is crucial to the longevity and effectiveness of your RV awning. One brand that stands out as a cut above the rest is A&E awnings. A&E 8500 awnings are so popular, in fact, that many big brand manufacturers of campers and RV’s install them on new campers and RVs.
Who makes A&E awnings?
A&E awnings are a product of Dometic Outdoor. Dometic is a global brand that excels at creating outdoor products for both home and professional use.
How do you replace the fabric on an A&E awning?
Replacing the fabric on your A&E awning is simple. Here’s what you need to know!
- Extend your awning out about 2 feet and remove the screws holding the old fabric in place.
- Cut the old fabric above the roller and in its grooves to remove it.
- Cut a new slot in the roller allowing for the new fabric to easily slide in.
- Smooth out any sharp edges on the roller to avoid rips in your new fabric.
- Once the fabric is oriented properly, slide the plastic piece into the groove on the roller.
- Return the locking screws and enjoy!
As a side note, it is possible to replace your awning fabric by yourself, but it is not recommended. To avoid potential injury or damage to your awning, always get someone to help you replace your awning fabric, especially for bigger awnings.
How do you identify a Dometic awning?
Identifying your Dometic awning is simple once you know what to look for. However, depending on the model, you’ll need to look for different information.
The simplest way to identify your Dometic awning is to look at the roller end caps. If your Dometic awning is an 8300 model, it will have a hollow roller shaft with an outside diameter of 18.5mm.
If you have a Dometic 8500 awning, it will be solid and have a smaller diameter than the 8300 model. Likely 10mm. Additionally, the 8500 model also has a cap that will keep the roller on top of the roller shaft’s arms.
Finally, the Dometic 9000 awning will look like the 8500, except it will have aluminum portions on the first part of the canopy. This helps protect it from the sun when in its rolled-up position.
How do you open an A&E awning?
Opening your A&E awning is simple. Depending on which awning you have, you can either open it with a button or manually.
Manually Opening Your A&E Awning
- Locate the adjustment lock knob on the back of the awning arm and turn it counterclockwise. Then, push the travel lock located on the side of the arm up to unlock the arm and rafter.
- At the end of the roller tube, there is a safety lock. Pull the lever forward with the hook on an awning rod.
- Take the hook on the awning rod and put it in the loop on the end of the roller’s pull strap. Pulling the strap will extend the awning.
- Continue sliding the rafters inside the awning arm until you hear them click in place. Then, turn the adjustment clockwise to tighten everything down.
- Pull the lever located on the side of the arm to raise the awning to your desired height.
- Clear everything out of the way of your awning
- Press the “extend button” on your remote
- Release the button once your awning has fully extended
Will RV Awnings replacement fabric fit an A&E awning?
RV Awnings supplies some of the highest-quality RV awning replacement fabric on the market. While you can order our awning fabric in different sizes, it can also be cut down to fit the dimensions of your A&E awning. Regardless of what size awning you have, we have fabric that can be used during a replacement!
We Can Help You!
RV Awnings specializes in making awning fabric of the highest standard and offers a variety of options. If you have any further questions or would like to order replacement fabric for your awning, call us today